- Due to the fact 2007, brand new share from evangelical Protestants who pick which have Baptist denominations has shrunk off 41% to help you 36%. At the same time, the brand new share of evangelicals determining with nondenominational churches is continuing to grow away from 13% so you can 19%.
- The fresh new United Methodist Chapel (UMC) continues to be the premier denomination during the mainline Protestant community. Currently, 25% out of mainline Protestants choose on the UMC, off some of twenty-eight% when you look at the 2007.
- More than half dozen-in-ten members of the brand new usually black Protestant culture choose that have Baptist denominations, in addition to twenty-two% just who identify for the Federal Baptist Summit, the greatest denomination within the typically black Protestant traditions.
- The brand new show of your own public determining that have religions aside from Christianity is continuing to grow of 4.7% into the 2007 in order to 5.9% inside the 2014. Development was very noticable certainly one of Muslims (who taken into account 0.4% from participants on the 2007 Religious Land Research and you will 0.9% within the 2014) and you will Hindus (0.4% in the 2007 compared to. 0.7% within the 2014). twelve
- More or less one to-in-eight members regarding the fresh new questionnaire (15%) was born beyond your You.S., as well as 2-thirds of those immigrants are Christians, and additionally 39% that happen to be Catholic. One or more-in-10 immigrants identify with a low-Christian trust, such Islam or Hinduism.
- Hindus and you may Jews remain the essential extremely knowledgeable religious life style. Completely 77% out of Hindus is actually school students, while the is actually 59% out-of Jews (compared to twenty seven% of all the U.S. adults). These teams also have a lot more than-mediocre home profits. Completely 44% of Jews and thirty-six% away from Hindus state their yearly family members earnings exceeds $one hundred,one hundred thousand, weighed against 19% of your personal overall.
In addition, it summarizes designs in religious modifying
Here is the earliest report on conclusions throughout the 2014 You.S. Spiritual Land Study, the new centerpiece at which are a nationally associate cell questionnaire out-of thirty-five,071 grownups. This is basically the 2nd day the new Pew Search Cardio have used a religious Landscape Investigation. The first is presented from inside the 2007, and that have a telephone survey of greater than 35,one hundred thousand Americans.
- To provide an in depth membership of your own size of the fresh new religious communities you to definitely populate the You.S. landscape;
- To spell it out the newest demographic functions, religious beliefs and you can techniques, and you can personal and you can governmental opinions of them spiritual organizations; and you can
- In order to document how the spiritual profile of your own U.S. changed due to the fact basic research is actually conducted into the 2007. With more than thirty-five,100000 interviews for every single, both 2007 and 2014 studies have margins of mistake of lower than you to definitely payment point, where you can select also relatively brief alterations in spiritual groups’ share of You.S. population.
S. spiritual communities, plus the median age, racial and you will ethnic cosmetics, nativity data, studies and income membership, sex rates, relatives constitution (together with spiritual intermarriage cost) and you will geographic shipments
The outcome of one’s 2014 Religious Surroundings Research is penned in the a number of account over the coming year. It earliest declaration is targeted on new changing religious composition of U.S. and you may refers to the new group characteristics off U.
At the same time, which declaration boasts an appendix you to definitely measures up the fresh new conclusions of your 2007 and you can 2014 Religious Land Knowledge with many different most other surveys and you may assesses exactly how present developments inside Western religion fit into expanded-label style. Analysis out of a variety of federal studies, such as the a lot of time-running Standard Public Questionnaire and Gallup polls, confirm that Protestants was indeed declining because the a share of your You.S. population hence brand new unaffiliated was growing. But there is however a reduced amount of a consensus from the trend when you look at the American Catholicism. Some surveys, such as the you to definitely looked in this statement, mean that the fresh Catholic display of one’s people was decreasing, while others strongly recommend it’s apparently steady otherwise may have declined and ticked backup in recent times. (Get a hold of Appendix C.)